Saturday, August 23, 2008

Volleyball Begins

Kaemie made the volleyball team! I am so proud of her because she has worked hard this summer, going in every week and conditioning. She looks great and has some muscle definition in her arms and legs. She probably made the junior varsity team, although her coach mentioned she might be fighting for a spot on the varsity team. The games start in a couple of weeks, so I know where I will be every Tuesday night.



The volleyball coach wanted every girl on the team to take a weights class. Kaemie tried it for about a week and then dropped it to take a computer class. I was a little disappointed because I thought she might have hurt her chances to make varsity by doing that. She doesn't think she did. Then I got to thinking about it, and every other day she would have had 1 1/2 hours of weights, then 3 hours of volleyball practice. That seems like a lot of physical activity for someone who is not a professional athlete (i.e. not getting paid). I made her promise to stay on the volleyball team, try out for soccer, and condition and take the class next year.

Kaemie says that volleyball and soccer are not her passions, so she isn't sure if she wants to play either sport the rest of high school or in college. I tried to explain to her that she can get good at these sports and get paid to go to college and play, or she can go to college on her own and have to work to pay for college. I'm not sure it has sunk in with her about how getting athletic scholarships can help. I have a couple more years to work on this.

No comments: